Kauai Principal named as finalist in $25,000 School Leadership Award | Business
Principal Debra Lindsey of Koloa Elementary in Koloa was named a finalist in the 2012 Masayuki Tokioka Excellence in School Leadership Awards.
One Hawaii public school principal will receive $25,000 (a $10,000 personal cash award and $15,000 towards a school project of his or her choice). The recipient of this year’s award will be announced at the Public Schools of Hawaii Foundation dinner on April 13, 2012 in Honolulu.
The award, which is named after Island Insurance founder Masayuki Tokioka is underwritten by the Island Insurance Foundation, the philanthropic arm of Island Insurance Companies. 11 public school principals from across the state are finalists for the award which recognizes outstanding school principals across the state and their efforts to provide high-quality learning opportunities for their students.
An educator for 31 years, Lindsey transformed Koloa Elementary from a school that was once in restructuring, to a school that is now being identified as a model school by the Department of Education. Her ability to lead by example and willingness to do whatever it takes to get the job done with integrity has developed a culture of competence within the school system.
“With hard work and a clear vision of what needed to be done, she was able to transform not only Koloa School, but the entire Koloa community as well,” said Leila Maeda-Kobayashi, teacher at Koloa Elementary. “There is no doubt that under Debbie’s leadership, not only students, but teachers, staff and the Koloa community have been positively changed and that change will impact generations to come.”
The Island Insurance Foundation was established as the charitable arm of Island Insurance, the only locally-owned property and casualty insurance carrier to have a charitable entity solely dedicated to supporting the non-profit community. Island Insurance is Hawaii’s largest locally owned and managed P&C insurance carrier with financial strength ratings of “A” by A.M. Best and Fitch Ratings and is the only Hawaii-Based company to be recognized as one of the Top 50 property & casualty insurance companies in the nation by the Ward Group for four consecutive years. For more information, visit its website at: www.islandinsurance.com.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- See Two Free Movies at Ewa Beach Library on February 24
- Learn More About Navigating Through New Solar Rules at a Free Solar Open House in Ewa Beach
- Emergency responders to conduct training exercises in Ewa
- See "Despicable Me 2" at Ewa Beach Library on Jan. 28
- Children's Author Will Read Christmas Book at Ewa Beach Library
- CBP's NATO West program helps new recruits transition quickly to career in real estate
- EMS puts four new ambulances into service
- Coldwell Banker Pacific Properties Hosts "Unlocking the Mysteries of Photovoltaic Systems" Seminar
- Kualakai Parkway reopened following oil spill
- Hear Hawaii Health Connector Speaker at Kapolei Library on Feb. 19
- Homeless man dies after Maili stabbing, suspect arrested
- No contest plea in $20K Nanakuli school theft
- Pacific Links Hawai'i Foundation Gifts $200,000 to Local Non-Profits
- Waianae pedestrian dragged for blocks under car
- Learn More About Navigating Through New Solar Rules at a Free Solar Open House in Waipahu