County Anti-Drug Office transitions to Life’s Choices Kaua'i | Community Spirit
LĪHU‘E – As part of a proclamation ceremony for Alcohol Awareness Month, Mayor Bernard Carvalho, Jr. announced Monday the name change for the county’s Anti-Drug Office.
“The office is now called Life’s Choices Kaua'i and their tagline is ‘Empowering our community to be drug-free’”, said the mayor.
The mission of Life’s Choices Kaua'i is to bring together community resources and service providers to combat and prevent substance abuse, build stronger families and foster a healthier community.
Theresa Koki, who has served as coordinator of the Anti-Drug Office for five years, said that the name change offers her team a new beginning.
“I’m very proud of the accomplishments of our office, and look forward to doing a lot more in the prevention of alcohol and substance abuse and addiction on Kaua'i,” said Koki.
The Life’s Choices Kaua'i team has scheduled the following events for April in recognition of it being Alcohol Awareness Month:
- Friday, April 13, Wilcox Elementary School -- “Alcopop” presentation during Parent Night
- Wednesday and Thursday, April 18 and 19, Waimea High School -- “Shattered Dreams” presentation
- Tuesday, April 24, 6 to 8 p.m., Historic Waimea Theater -- “Getting to Outcomes” town hall meeting. Program will include a presentation on statistical information from the county’s own data bank and a showing of two videos, “Shattered Dreams” and “Wasted”. Refreshments will also be offered including hot dogs, popcorn and beverages.
- Saturday, April 28, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Kaua'i Police Department headquarters in Līhu'e – “Spring Cleaning and National Take Back Day”, unused alcohol and prescription drugs will be collected.
The Anti-Drug Office, now known as Life’s Choices Kaua'i, was established in 2003 by the late Mayor Bryan Baptiste with the support of the Kaua'i County Council as a community-based effort for dealing with the island-wide drug problem.
A collective vision developed by the community serves as the foundation for the Kaua'i County Community Drug Response Plan, and it includes these major goals:
- Engage and empower Kaua'i residents to make the choice to be drug-free.
- Develop local access to affordable, effective drug treatment and support that offers hope for a happy, productive life without drugs.
- Unite the community to resist drug use, provide caring treatment and support for those affected by drug use, and support enforcement to reduce drug-related crimes.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Meet "Daughter of the Air" Author at Kapolei Library on December 7
- Coldwell Banker Pacific Properties Hosts Free Career Night
- Meet "Nemu Nemu" Webcomic Creator at Kapolei Library this Wednesday, Nov. 6
- Coldwell Banker Pacific Properties Hosts Free “Flooring Options for Your Home” Seminar
- Coldwell Banker Pacific Properties Hosts “Preparing for Rising Flood Insurance Premiums” Seminar