Two officers recognized at Police Commission meeting | Community Spirit
LĪHU'E – The County of Kaua'i Police Commission presented the department’s Officer of the Month recognition to two deserving officers at this morning’s Police Commission meeting held at the Piikoi Building.
Patrol officers Joseph Russell Himongala and Makana Rivera were recognized for their response during the heavy storm that hit Kaua'i last month.
Shortly after 12 p.m. on March 5, Officer Himongala and Officer Rivera responded to a call of a vehicle submerged in water off Loop Road in Wailua. Upon their arrival, the officers located two occupants sitting on top of a submerged truck surrounded by fast moving water roughly 40 meters off shore.
The officers threw the couple a rope to secure themselves while they awaited back-up. Additional rescue personnel arrived within minutes but as rescuers set up for the rescue, the couple fell from the truck into the rushing waters below.
Still holding onto the rope, Officer Rivera was nearly pulled into the river but with the help of the other officers, firefighters and bystanders, the couple were pulled safely out of the water without injury.
Officers Himongala and Rivera used exceptional judgment and quick thinking to help the couple to safety. They were recognized for their courage and dedication to serve the public and save lives.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Celebrate National Library Week - See Double Feature at Ewa Beach Library on April 14
- Ewa Beach Crush Football/Cheer
- See Two Free Movies at Ewa Beach Library on February 24
- Learn More About Navigating Through New Solar Rules at a Free Solar Open House in Ewa Beach
- Emergency responders to conduct training exercises in Ewa
- Avalon development co. Purchases industrial park in Kapolei; 17 fee-simple lots to go on sale
- Coldwell Banker Pacific Properties Hosts Free "Design on a Dollar" Seminar
- CBP's NATO West Program Helps New Recruits Transition Quickly to Career in Real Estate
- Kapolei Library Offers Spring Reading Program and Adult Event in March
- CBP hosts “Off-Base Housing: How Military Personnel Buy and Sell in Hawaii” Seminar