Family of man shot by Kauai police file lawsuit | News
LIHUE, Hawaii (AP) - The family of a man shot to death by Kauai police one year ago has filed a wrongful death lawsuit against the department and the officer involved in the shooting.
The Garden Island reported Monday that the family of Richard Louis filed the lawsuit this month in Fifth Circuit Court in Kauai.
Louis was killed in February 2012 as officers came to arrest him at his home on a $310,000 warrant. Louis missed a court hearing two months earlier and was convicted of theft, gun and drug charges.
Police say the 62-year-old Louis barricaded himself in his home, ignored orders to surrender and threatened to kill an officer with a metal object.
A lawyer for his family says Louis' home was surrounded and he posed no danger.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- See Ewa Beach Library's Movie Mondays including "The Lego Movie"
- Wealth Managing Partners, Inc. tees off to help ill children of Hawaii
- Woman and three children escape unhurt as fire destroys their Ewa home
- Motorcyclist in stable condition after colliding with vehicle in Ewa Beach
- Ewa Makai Middle School Principal named as finalist in $25,000 School Leadership Award