12 Hawaii post offices could have hours cut | News
HONOLULU (AP) - Twelve post offices in rural communities from Makaweli on Kauai to Kalaupapa on Molokai and Laupahoehoe on the Big Island may be open for fewer hours under a proposal to help the U.S. Postal Service save money.
The 12 would be among 13,000 rural post offices around the country with reduced hours.
The service proposed the idea Wednesday after backing off another plan to close thousands of rural post offices.
The agency is proposing cutting opening hours at the post offices between two and six hours a day. An additional 4,000 rural post offices would keep their full-time hours.
The other nine Hawaii post offices included in the proposal are: Hakalau, Hawaii National Park, Honomu, Hoolehua, Kaumakani, Kualapuu, Kunia, Maunaloa, and Papaaloa.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- HSPLS Continues Internet PC Reservations Upgrade: Kapolei Library Scheduled for May 30
- Geobunga to kick off Hawaii State Public Library's keiki summer reading program "Dig Into Reading"
- Special HSPLS Children's Summer Reading Program Kick-off Event at Kapolei Library on May 28
- "What Is Your Home Worth" seminar
- Free Career Night Hosted by Coldwell Banker Pacific Properties