Successful missile defense test reported on Kauai | News
KAUAI (HawaiiNewsNow) - The United States destroyed a target missile near Hawaii in the first successful test of a new defense tool.
According to officials, the target was launched from a Kauai missile range facility late Wednesday night and involved the U.S.S. Lake Erie.
The Raytheon SM-3 Block IB's kinetic warhead is designed as an anti-missile shield in Europe.
Raytheon says this tool is critical to the ballistic missile defense of the U.S. and its allies because it can defeat the more sophisticated threats emerging around the world.
Russia threatens preemptive strike over the planned U.S. missile shield.
On Thursday, a spokesperson for the Pentagon's missile defense agency told Reuters he could not yet confirm a successful test.
Copyright 2012 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- HSPLS Continues Internet PC Reservations Upgrade: Kapolei Library Scheduled for May 30
- Geobunga to kick off Hawaii State Public Library's keiki summer reading program "Dig Into Reading"
- Special HSPLS Children's Summer Reading Program Kick-off Event at Kapolei Library on May 28
- "What Is Your Home Worth" seminar
- Free Career Night Hosted by Coldwell Banker Pacific Properties